Seven women and one man were arrested last week as part of a sting operation targeting prostitution in South Walton.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office Vice/Narcotics Unit, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the State Attorney’s Office conducted the investigation after multiple citizens complained they believed prostitutes had moved into their neighborhoods and were using websites to advertise their business, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
The arrests include two sisters who were unaware of each other’s activities, the Sheriff’s Office reported.
On October 22, undercover officers contacted women through internet advertisements. Using this contact, the women women agreed to meet at a hotel room on Scenic Gulf Drive.
Once the women arrived they offered sex or sex acts for money, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
All parties charged during this operation were found with illegal narcotics on their persons including needles used for methamphetamine, the Sheriff’s Office reported. All were charged additionally with those violations.
One man who provided transportation for a woman was also arrested on drug related charges.
“All prostitution activity we encountered over the weekend stems from drug addiction,” said Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson. “It has devastating affects not just to a person’s health, but their ability to make the decisions that will keep them out of trouble. It’s tragic.”
The Sheriff’s Office said additional arrests are expected from this operation.
Those arrested are as follows:
- Molly McCarty, 39, Prostitution, Cocaine possession, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Sara Scruggs, 27, Prostitution, Cocaine possession, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Shoshannah Diaz, 30, Prostitution, Possession of a Controlled Substance without a prescription, two counts of selling methamphetamine, two out-of-county warrants.
- Yohannah Dwyer, (Sister of Shoshannah) 31, Prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana.
- Tara Buntyn, 45, Prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia, out-of-county warrant.
- Joshua Johnson, 27, Possession of a Controlled Substance without a prescription, possession paraphernalia.
- Jennifer Pope, 40, possession of drug paraphernalia.